Does your organization suffer from a hidden culture of incivility, opening the door for dangerous medical errors, poor patient satisfaction and higher employee turnover? If so, you are not alone. In 2008, The Joint Commission recognized the widespread problem of behaviors that undermine a culture of safety. In fact, uncivil behavior among healthcare employees now constitutes a sentinel event!
To combat this pervasive problem, The Joint Commission recommends that all accredited healthcare organizations be responsible for handling and preventing incivility in the workplace. In the Know’s REAL Healthcare Reform Civility Training Program makes fulfilling this recommendation easy. Based on our popular book, The REAL Healthcare Reform, ITK’s program is a complete turnkey solution that contains everything you need to get a civility training program up and running immediately.
So, aside from meeting TJC’s recommendation, what’s in it for you? Healthcare organizations that implement civility training find that it:
- Reduces costly medical errors. Incivility ruins communication among your employees and poor communication is a direct threat to patient safety. Civility training decreases dangerous and potentially deadly medical errors by improving teamwork and communication.
- Increases employee retention. A staggering number of healthcare employees report having quit a job because of incivility. Civility training improves employee retention at every level, saving your organization the precious time and money involved in hiring and training new employees.
- Cuts down on call-outs and absenteeism. Working in a culture of incivility leads to more absenteeism. As many as 47% of healthcare employees report spending less time at work because of incivility. Civility training creates an atmosphere that energizes and inspires those who are in it. Employees who are energized and inspired will look forward to coming to work, thus reducing the rate of absenteeism.
- Eliminates conflict and drama. Incivility leads to conflict and conflict equals DRAMA! Healthcare professionals who embrace civility are less likely to burn out, bully or eat their young! This means less conflict and drama among your employees!
- Improves client satisfaction and enhances the organizations reputation. Disgruntled, dissatisfied and disengaged employees don’t provide quality care to the clients they serve. This leads to a decrease in client satisfaction. Clients who are dissatisfied with the care they receive share their negative experience with others in the community. If your organizations embraces civility, you will enjoy improved client satisfaction and an enhanced reputation in the community.
Our Civility Training packages are available for as few as 12 learners and come complete with a copy of The REAL Healthcare Reform for each learner plus an Instructor’s Manual for the educator. You will find the Instructor’s Manual full of engaging classroom activities, thought-provoking discussion questions, convenient PowerPoint presentations, tips for improving participation and a CD with master copies of all the handouts and presentations.
The program materials are appropriate for every individual in your organization, clinical and non-clinical alike. Administrators, managers, nurses, aides, secretaries, and everyone in between, will find the program easy to use and understand. In addition, the program provides six hours of inservice credit for all your Certified Nursing Assistants.